Saturday, April 7, 2012

Was Jesus an existentialist

I tried to find Doug Lobb's sermon he gave the day that Kim had been taken to the hospital.   I especially loved the conversation he had with Jesus over the coffee table that morning at 7am.   He is a funny guy and a good preacher.

He began speaking about the Pharisees taunting Jesus.   "Where is this "Kingdom" you teach about show us and we will believe you."  Jesus told them " I cannot say look to the east and say it is there just over the hill"  "cannot say be patient it is coming or it is down the street to your right".

The kingdom is here.  Under your feet.  Under my feet.  In our everyday life.  In the good deeds ( and the bad) that we do.   I offer you the kingdom now.

A light went on for me.  Perhaps because I have a counselor who is the princess of existentialism.  A philosophy which has been hard for me to grasp.  Maybe because you can't grasp it.  You have to have the faith to let go of everything else.  Now she is an excellent counselor but even she (I think) would have a hard time sitting down and trying to explain existentialism to the Pharisees.  In fact I have a sad picture of my counselor being taken to slaughter for blasphemy.  Even though she is one of the most Christ like persons I know.

When Jesus said the kingdom is "at hand" could he be saying it is now.  You walk in the kingdom, you live in the kingdom.  Take care of our kingdom because this is it.  

I walked out that day and saw everything and everyone differently.   Were my footsteps holy and compelled with the truth that I was already here?   I don't know. but it has made me think more about my relationships, my commitments,  my words,  my works, my compassion.  For is we are actually living in the Kingdom I want to make sure I am taking care of its sometimes unseen grandeur.  Treat it as a gift every morning for I live in the Holy Kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment